Tuesday, September 22, 2015

MSFree

Taylor Broome, MS3
So I made it. 12 months of clinical rotations, 8 specialties, 5 Shelf exams, 2 pair of hideous danskos, and enough caffeine to power a city. Second year was an amazing experience. I learned an insane amount of information and had interactions that I will cherish for the rest of my life.

My vacation? 6 weeks of studying for Step 1. My second year was very heavy towards the end. I finished up the year with my surgery, then internal medicine rotations, so I wanted to keep the momentum going and knock out Step 1. I won't bore you with a recap of the last month, aka: me sitting in my pajamas with my cats, eating cereal, and listening to Dr. Husain Sattar. I am now 2 1/2 weeks away from my exam and desperately trying to maintain my momentum. But I am looking forward to having Step 1 behind me so I can fully embrace my third year.

Sterling thinks First Aid is good for sitting.

So I will be a busy bee once Step 1 is over. My research this year is basic science and will be in Dr. Sampson's lab, which focuses on creating and testing immunotherapies for brain tumors, notably glioblastoma multiforme. My specific project will be to create an immunotherapy for a pediatric brain tumor called Diffuse Intrinsic Pontine Glioma. To be totally honest, I have never done wet lab research before (I did mathematical modeling as an undergrad), so I don't know how this year will go. However, I am thrilled to be involved with a lab doing such amazing things. Completely switching gears, I will also be directing the Student Faculty Show this year. The Student Faculty Show is a full-blown musical that is written, directed, and performed by medical students each year on Medical Families Day. I don't want to give too much away, but I will give you this preview: Dr. Chudgar in a mullet.

No comments:

Post a Comment