Saturday, October 31, 2015

Let's Be Well RED

Rajvi Mehta, MS3
Currently a third year medical student at Duke, I am also the founder of Let’s Be Well RED (LBWR) a social venture in India which aims to combat the widespread prevalence of iron-deficiency anemia (80% Indians are anemic) by providing iron-rich nutritional bars called GudNeSs. Each bar contains the WHO recommended daily dosage of iron.

Before I get into my time at Duke, a little more background may help: I was born and raised in Mumbai, India and pursued my undergraduate studies at Brown University. During my first semester there, I started feeling sick and pale—I was exhausted all the time, couldn’t focus while studying, and my grades suffered. When I went back home over winter break I got tested and found that I had iron deficiency anemia and through my interactions with local physicians, I also found that Iron deficiency is a huge public health problem in the country. Two things intrigued me: one, I was born and raised there, but had never heard of anemia being such a big problem and two, why is anemia such a huge problem when the solution is very simple—all you need is an adequate amount of iron in your diet! To understand the situation a little more, I conducted anemia testing and treating camps in urban slums in Mumbai and through my interactions with anemic women I realized that while most of them understood the importance of adding iron to their diet and many of them had already suffered the consequences of the condition, they were looking for a simple solution to the problem—they were looking for one food product that contained the WHO recommended daily dosage of iron. When I surveyed the Indian market, I did not find any such product, so to fill this need we created our very own iron-rich nutritional bars called GudNeSs.

GudNeSs bars launched in 2012
By the time I graduated from Brown, I had a small startup in India but I decided to go to medical school. I wanted a medical school with a great global health program, a good affiliated business school and one that encouraged an entrepreneurial spirit within the student body. Duke met these expectations and when I started medical school at Duke, I had two goals: I wanted to continue growing my company and I wanted to conduct a clinical trial to prove efficacy of GudNeSs. What I wasn’t ready for was the support I received from my Duke family! 15 classmates joined me in spreading the movement and 10 of them spent their spring break in India to start our clinical trial. Dean Andrews and Dr. Clements supported us from the start and provided the necessary guidance and encouragement. The trial proved efficacy of the bars and the results will be published shortly.

Duke medical students with LBWR health scouts in Mumbai
Medical students spreading awareness about anemia in India
Patient recruitment for a clinical study
Press meets and fun in Mumbai
At the same time, we participated and won the Duke Start Up Challenge--a yearlong program business plan competition. This allowed us to spread our services to 3 more states in India, establish our own production unit and today we have 40 employees looking after manufacture, marketing and sale of 100,000 bars/week.

LBWR wins the Duke Startup Challenge
I had no idea I would get so much support from the faculty and the medical students at Duke. I am confident that with this continued support, we will achieve our goal of combatting iron-deficiency anemia in India!

                            https://twitter.com/spreadgudness

No comments:

Post a Comment